The Second Amendment is about much more than putting food on the table or providing a ready militia in the event of an attack on the homeland. Our freedom loving founding fathers were very obvious and outspoken in their belief that the citizens’ right to posses the most dangerous personal weapon of that day was absolutely necessary in order to have the means of defense against a tyrannical government. I do not think they believed that the fledgling American Republic was going to morph into a repressive regime in ten or twenty years, no..they were looking into the future as they did with all aspects of our beautiful Constitution and Bill of Rights.
It should come as no surprise that the US government refuses to acknowledge this truth and seems to be determined to assemble a national gun registry and as many limitations on the Second Amendment as possible. Illegal guns are so readily available on the black market that gun control does not meet the common sense test. These mass shooters are almost all suffering from some sort of mental health problem, however, that is a difficult issue to define narrowly enough to keep guns away from those who are dangerous without:
- Taking the Constitutional rights from those who may have issues that do not make them dangerous to themselves or others, arachnophobia, agoraphobia, mild depression, hypochondria, etc.
- Some type of mechanism to control the decision process so that it cannot be abused for political, inheritance, revenge or any other nefarious reason.
- There must be an appeals process with final determination by a court since it involves a God-given right enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
This afternoon when I heard one of the victim’s father speak on Fox, he was most elegantly focused on the simple truth-
- It isn’t about the gun debate, which will not fix anything.
- The country will not come together over gun bans or gun limits.
- We protect our courthouses, our airports, concerts, football games, etc. The schools we send our children to deserve at least as much! The entire country can come together to see that this is done
There is the eternal question that lurks in the background, everyone is aware of it but no one in the media will talk about it or ask. Why do the Democrats attack the Second Amendment at every possible opportunity when they know as well as we do that it will do nothing to help prevent mass shootings. Is it not strange that they ignore things that would actually help in order to propose legislation which would just take guns out of the hands of honest law abiding citizens leaving them helpless and vulnerable to both easily armed criminals and a repressive tyrannical government.